Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A little more about our neighborhood

First of all, let's start by letting you know that the building next door is under construction, so we are woken up every morning by the sound of a jackhammer* (usually by around 7 AM). By around 9 AM, it is quiet again. Apparently, the jackhammer is only needed until it's time for Liz to be at school.

Here's another one of those cool recycling bins in the neighborhood.


You'll recall a few posts earlier I mentioned how fruits like dates and olives are growing in people's yards...here's a pomegranate tree that's just down the block from us.

So, as I was taking this photo of the Greek Embassy, also down the block from us, a car pulls up beside me and starts honking. Hoping that I'm not about to be arrested for photographing an embassy, I walk over and - yes, just like last week - the driver starts telling me how just down the block is a much more interesting photo of the Christian Embassy. You can't make things like this up.


* it might be a piledriver. What do I know?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I don't get it. What's the deal with the "Christian Embassy"? And why are people so excited about it? I mean really, who is this embassy supposed to represent? I Guess I could understand the "Holy See" maintaining an embassy, but what is this place supposed to be?

Okay, I just looked at their website and I see it's an evangelical organization. This sounds a bit suspect to me. It's not a embassy in the sense of a place to go when losing your passport, but rather a self-inflated PAC. As I understand evangelical thinking, they are there to help see that Israel exists which is considered important fulfill the prophecies about the end of the world.

There is an interesting article in this month's Haper's Magazine about Christianity in America and how Americans though predominantly self-identified as Christian are not subscribers to Christian teachings. (http://www.harpers.org/index.html)